Experienced ultra runner Gareth Corbett will be taking part in what is considered to be the world’s most extreme ultra-marathon on 26th of August to raise money for The Burrow.
A few facts about #UTMB
- The Ultra–Trail du Mont–Blanc is a single-stage mountain ultramarathon
- Runners start at Chamonix and will cover 100 miles
- Mountainous terrain takes runners through France, Italy and Switzerland
- Time limit of 47 hours
- Unpredictable weather conditions can be extremely tough
- Runners will endure 10,000 metres of altitude change – the equivalent of ascending and descending Mount Everest
- There are 2,300 competitors and Gareth is 1 of only 194 from the UK
- The distance that Gareth will cover is around the same distance from Guernsey to Southampton!
‘Our second daughter Holly was born 4 weeks premature in 2011 without much warning,’ explains Mr Corbett. ‘The 24 hours she spent in the Neonatal Critical Care Unit in Sydney – where we were living at the time – was the most agonising wait of our lives. Luckily her lungs were developed and she had no major issues other than low body fat and difficultly in regulating her temperature.
My wife Susie and I saw so many other babies fighting for their lives, and it gave us a glimpse of how things could have been very different for us. Many families here have to travel to Southampton for specialist treatment and the money raised from my challenge will go towards helping these families for years to come.’ – Gareth Corbett
No stranger to physical challenges
Gareth has completed the following…
- Guernsey Ultra (with Flopsy!) finishing in 2nd place
- South Downs Way 100
- North Downs Way 100
- 250km Marathon des Sables
- A 250km stage race across Western Australia
Fundraising for The Burrow
Gareth is hoping to raise £5,000 for The Burrow (the equivalent of 1,000 bricks!) Please visit: www.run100.co.uk to find out more about Gareth’s challenge or head over to: www.justgiving.com/utmb100 to donate! Thank you to everyone who has offered their support so far.
Gareth with his youngest daughter Holly